Sunday, July 11, 2010

Extraordinary film

2 days in Paris is a fantastic story, with believable acting and script, hilarious moments that balance the heart wrenching ones, you can totally feel each character has depth and that the relationships between them all are real. I don't know if they are actually related, or have acted together before, but the smoothness of the conversations and the chemistry was excellent. The two sisters and parents felt like a real family (in fact the dad and the blonde are actually father and daughter). The main protagonist couple felt like rounded people with real lives. I cannot recommend it highly enough - I gave it 10 stars on IMDB.

I also loved the side of Paris that it showed and the reality of travelling as a couple. I love that the flawed personalities came to the fore - the neuroticism, the jealousy, the lying-to-be-kind.

I love that about half the movie is in French with subtitles but it doesn't feel like a bleak foreign language film, nor a chore to keep watching the screen - it keeps you focused. I normally multi-task through movies -reading, writing, eating, painting my nails, etc. and just keep track of the dialogue. However, this one made me watch the entire thing in a little window on my desktop whilst I did my other tasks. Marvellous, really marvellous.

It was also amazing because Julie Delpy wrote, directed, starred, made music and took still photography for the entire thing. She is a wonder! Apparently there will be 2 days in New York.

I think I'll check out her other movies (which she writes and stars in, too) - The Countess (2009), Before Sunset (2004) and Looking for Jimmy (2002). I think I'll look at Adam Goldberg's, too: (Untitled) (2009), I Love Your Work (2003), Scotch and Milk (1998) and Dazed and Confused (1993).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Visit PomoWorld.com
www.theGayMonster.com - A colorfully flamboyant webcomic!